What can be better than an old school, basic lasgna with bolognese sauce? Maybe some simple bolognese pasta!
As a fact, before I was writing this down, I was having a little bit of research regarding the proper way of using the word “lasagna” in English – mind you that English isn’t our mother tongue. So then I saw on my good ol’ pal Wiki that it’s spelled lasagne, and not lasagna that we were used to – no, we’re not Italians, but we’re kind of their cousins!
So today is the day! Today we’re going to show you the easiest way to cook old school lasagne. Step by step, we’re going to explain how to cook bolognese sauce, béchamel sauce and of course, how to build up the lasagna itself!
So here’s what you need:
- 750g beef mince (if you find it mixed with pork, that will be good as well)
- 450ml tomato sauce
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 big carrots (or 3 if small)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp of basil
- 700ml milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 20g butter
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 200g grated cheese (or mozzarella)
- 375g lasagna sheets
- Put the onion, cloves and carrots into a processor and start blending. Or just chop them easily.
- Add them all into a frying pan – don’t put that much oil.
- Mix them together and wait for the classic sweet smell of the cooked onion.
- Add the meat and mix them together.
- Once the meat’s color turns grey, pour the sauce and mix them.
- Season with salt, pepper, oregano and basil + anything else that you’d like.
- Let them cool.
- Pour 4-5 tbsp of milk into a cup and add the flour.
- Mix them together until you get a creamy texture.
- Then pour the rest of the milk into a pot on a stove, at minimum heat. Careful not to let it boil!
- Add the creamy mixture.
- Whisk them together in the pot, without stop.
- Season with salt and nutmeg.
Building up the Lasagna
- Spread a bit of the béchamel sauce over the tray.
- Add the first layer of lasagna sheet.
- Pour the bolognese sauce and then add a layer of grated cheese.
- Add a new layer of lasagna sheets.
- Then spread another layer of béchamel sauce, bolognese sauce and cheese.
- Continue in this order until you finish all the ingredients.
Et voila – The Basic Lasagna!
Not in the mood for Lasagna? Check out our other meals recipes!