It’s time for a vanilla cake! Yay, finally, a cake! Well, if you don’t count the Tiramisu as a baked cake…here’s our first ever sponge and cream delight on Mary-Ane’s Cuisine.
We started with something simple because we wanted this website to be perfect for new cooks, bakers, chefs, you name it! We’re putting ourselves in newbies’ shoes, and that’s why we’re doing each recipe step by step, from the easiest to the hardest. This is why this recipe represents one of the easiest cakes ever, in which you will learn, step by step (video included!) how to bake a sponge cake and make an irresistible vanilla cream – two essential elements that will sure help you in other complex variations! And this is why we start with the easiest one: a vanilla cake (with vanilla sponge and vanilla cream, d’oh!) with a pinch of fruits, some whipped cream and there you have it! Enjoy!
- 6 eggs
- 200g all purpose flour
- 180g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp oil
- pinch of salt
- Whisk the eggs.
- Add the sugar while mixing the eggs.
- Pour the oil.
- Pour the vanilla.
- Mix with a spoon (preferably wooden spoon) while adding the flour.
- Pour the mixture in a cake tray (we used a 28cm one).
- Place it in the oven, medium heat, and leave it for 10-15 minutes. Our advice is to check it often, it will always depend on the oven.
- 6 egg yolks
- 500ml milk
- 100g powdered sugar
- 40g flour
- 1 tbsp of vanilla essence
- Mix the yolks with the sugar.
- Pour the milk into a pot and put it on a low flame.
- Add the vanilla essence into the pot, and mix it together with the milk.
- Pour 4-5 table spoons of warm milk into the yolk and sugar mixture and start mixing a bit with a wooden spoon or a whisk.
- Add all the mixture into the pot.
- Start mixing until the cream gets solid.
- After it’s solid, let it cool.
- Mix it with mango bites.
- Cut the sponge in half.
- Pour the cream and spread it on the bottom half.
- Add the top half.
- Spread the cream leftovers.
- Add the kiwi around the cake.
- Gently add the whipped cream.
- Leave it in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
Also, if you want home-made whip cream, all you need is:
- 250ml heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
Use the mixer at the highest level until it gets solid (test it by turning the bowl upside down, if it falls, continue mixing it, if it doesn’t, start eating).